Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Coconut Cookies, from Mom

Coconut Cookies, from Mom

Mom wrote: My favorite! About 1949, Murphy's.

Note from Gael: I made these for July 4, 2007. I was a little wary since the recipe was so vague, but they turned out great. Very crisp. I wasn't sure if they had quick-cooking oatmeal back in 1949 or not, so I used half quick-cooking oats, half regular. And the dough didn't seem like it held together, but when I squished it into balls, it worked, and spread out nicely on the pan. Took about 15+ minutes per sheet.

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups Quaker oatmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup coconut
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt

Melt shortening and pour over sugars. (Mix and add remaining ingredients.)

Drop onto greased cookie sheet, bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes.

No comments: