Monday, February 2, 2009

Maple Granola, from Gael

Maple Granola, from Gael
I got this from Kristin Burns, a woman on my book e-mail list, in January 2009.

She writes: "Our family gave this granola to neighbors, friends, co-workers and family for Christmas this year. I adapted the recipe from one in the King Arthur Flour whole grain baking book. It's really good, if I do say so myself. Let me know if you try it! Happy New Year!"

7 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup pure maple syrup
3/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Combine oats, wheat germ, seeds, nuts and salt in a very large bowl (I actually use a stockpot). Mix well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, oil and vanilla. (I use a 2-cup glass measure.)

Pour the syrup mixture over the dry mixture, stirring and tossing 'til everything is very well combined.

Spread the granola over 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour.

Remove the pans from the oven and let cool completely. Transfer the granola to a large bowl and add the raisins, stir well.

(I get all my nuts and syrup at Trader Joe's.)

No comments: