Open-Faced Veggie Sandwiches, from Gael
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium eggplant, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, garlic, salt, oregano and basil. Add vegetables and toss to coat. Transfer to two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
- Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and mustard; spread over toast. Place on a baking sheet. Top with vegetable mixture, tomato and cheese. Broil 6-8 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
From Taste of Home online. Made these for Rob June 30, 2010 and we both loved them. Nice to have meatless options. Good use of summer veggies.