Shaved Brussels Spout Salad, by Gael
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
1.5 lb Brussels sprouts
3 T olive oil
1/4 c sliced almonds
1.5 T lemon juice
1/2 clove garlic (I used minced)
1 T white wine vinegar
1 T honey
2 t Dijon mustard
1/2 T thyme leaves (I left these out)
1/2 pear, thinly sliced
6 oz shaved Pecorino-Romano cheese (Parmesan would also work)
1) Preheat oven to 375. Pull off outer layer of sprouts, reserving leaves. Then slice each sprout thinly. Toss sliced sprouts into one bowl, outer leaves in another.
2) Take bowl with outer leaves, add 1 T olive oil and salt to taste. Roast on baking sheet until crispy, about 10 mins. I put them on foil, some did get brown.
3) Combine almonds with 1/2 T olive oil and some salt. Stir. Spread on separate baking sheet. When leaves are out of oven, turn oven down to 350. Toast almonds 10 mins or until lightly brown.
4) Make dressing. In blender, combine lemon zest, juice, garlic, vinegar, honey and mustard. Stream in 1.5 T olive oil. When emulsified, add thyme leaves (I skipped thyme). Pulse 2-3 times.
5) Before serving, mix the sliced sprouts and the roasted leaves. Toss the mix with the dressing. Put some of the mix on plates, Serve with small cups of the pear slices, cheese shavings and nuts and let everyone top their own salad.
--Shape Magazine, Jan/Feb 2015
Made this Jan. 21, 2015 along with Roasted Pork Chops With Sweet Potatoes and Apples for me, Dan and Rob. We really liked it. Unusual to have a salad where the shaved Brussels sprouts replace the lettuce.