From April 2011 Vegetarian Times
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 jalapeño chile, finely diced, optional
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 cups masa harina, such as Maseca
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup vegetarian refried black beans
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
- 8 tsp. vegetable oil
Directions1. To make Curtido: Pour 4 cups boiling water over cabbage, carrot, onion, and jalapeño in bowl. Steep 5 minutes; drain.
2. Bring vinegar, 1/2 cup water, salt, sugar, and oregano to a boil in saucepan. Pour over cabbage mixture. Cover, and cool.
3. To make Pupusas: Combine masa harina, cumin, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Stir in 3 cups warm water, adding more, if needed, to form soft dough. Cover, and let stand 30 minutes.
4. Line baking sheet with wax paper. Roll dough into 16 balls. Make indentation in centers; fill 8 balls with 1 Tbs. refried beans; fill remaining 8 balls with 1 Tbs. cheese. Fold edges over fillings, and roll into balls once more. Press into 4-inch disks. Place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Heat 2 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 Pupusas at a time to skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes, turning once. Serve with Curtido.
Per serving (2 pupusas plus 1/4 cup curtido): Calories: 304, Protein: 9g, Total fat: 10g, Saturated fat: 2g, Carbs: 48g, Cholesterol: 9mg, Sodium: 806mg, Fiber: 6g, Sugars: 2g